Kitchen Reveal

progress

Happy Friday!! I’m very pleased to show you the final reveal of our kitchen!

We decided to redesign the main floor of our house in 2013. That meant ripping down all the drywall, tearing up all of the flooring, replacing all of the windows, removing a stone fireplace, reworking the plumbing and electrical, removing a supporting wall, and adding a supporting beam. We did all this while living in our home… for almost 6 months. It may seem crazy but we did this to save money and also because Matt wanted to do this on his own (with the help of some family and friends).

We needed help designing the new floor plan. Darren Sanger Smith came into our home and helped re-imagine our floor plan, and get everything on paper.

Oh, one important piece of information…. I found out I was pregnant just days after we demolished this area. I stepped on a nail and had to get a tetanus shot, before they would give it to me I had to take a pregnancy test, it was positive!! It was a loooonng 6 months renovating but well worth all of the trouble because we saved a lot of money in the end and got the renovation that we wanted.

before 2

IMG_8006

I started with these pictures as my inspiration for our kitchen. I wanted a fresh, welcoming, bright space, that was timeless.  I wanted to mix the new with the old by adding a sliding barn door and the antique pendant lighting I bought at the Christie Antique Show. I loved white cabinets but also wanted to add some depth by bringing in the charcoal gray on the island cabinetry.

We started off with all upper glass cabinets and then realized that wasn’t practical for us or for our budget. Having two glass cabinets was enough to display my dishes. I wanted lots of storage, so we went with a lot of drawers and optimized every inch of that island.

Before 1

IMG_8018

We love to entertain, so having a big island was important and we had the space to add it in. It is definitely the spot to stand around when we have people over.

Our quartz counter is Lagoon by Silestone. I definitely took my time finding the right one, looking at every option (read all about it here). We were limited to a few companies because of the size of our island but I fell in love with Lagoon.

IMG_8012

IMG_7403

Can we talk about these stools? they are the Jake Backless Stools by Sarah Richardson Design. I fell in love with these stools watching Sarah’s House 4. I did buy stools from the Christie Antique show but they didn’t work, and I kept thinking back to the Jake stools… so I ordered the stools. Natalie Hodgins helped me pick the right height and stain for the legs. I picked Highpoint Oyster from Sarah Richardson’s fabric collection, it was perfect. You can read all about my quest for the perfect stool here.

stools

To compliment the fabric on the stools, I wanted to bring in another fabric from Sarah Richardson’s collection – I picked Walmsley Linen. The wooden blinds are from Home Depot, read here, how you can update your kitchen window treatments.

IMG_8000

aftershots 2

after shots 3

IMG_8004

after shots 1

IMG_7984

IMG_7989

Hope you enjoyed taking a look at our kitchen! It was a lot of work. I know Matt is proud of how it turned out and I’m very happy that I took the extra time to make the final decision on every aspect of designing this kitchen. When we are cooking or hanging out in the kitchen, I know that this area reflects our personal style.

Over the next couple of months, I will share the other rooms on the main floor!

*All photos via Christina Gapic Photography

View Kitchen Source Guide

Advertisements

34 Responses to “Kitchen Reveal”

1. Frankie

Laura… It’s STUNNING!!! I looked back at your inspirational photos – you and Matt did such a great job! Your kitchen could totally fit right in as one of them 🙂

What was the worst part of the reno? Did you uncover any issues when you demo’d or is that solely for TV drama? haha!

Looking forward to seeing the rest!

• Sweet Maple

Thanks Frankie! The worst part of the Reno would be the demo bc on tv they make it look so fun and easy. Our drywall just crumbled when it was knocked down so it was a mess. No issues bc we went down to the studs but there was a lot of sketchy wiring.

• Sweet Maple

Thank you Vanessa! I love that we both used Lagoon, now there are some inspirational pictures to go off of for others trying to decide which counter material to use. It was so hard for me trying to decide because I couldn’t find many pictures with Lagoon!

2. Jennifer Flores (@ramblingreno)

When can I come over for some muffins and tea?? Your kitchen looks amazing Laura! I am jealous of all your cabinetry. You’ve used every inch of space so efficiently and I love the thoughtful details like the valance over the blinds and your refurbished antique lighting. You must love being in this space now! Well done you two.

• Sweet Maple

You are welcome to come over any time!:) Thank you, we really did want to make sure we were getting the most use out of the area. So glad you liked it!

3. Sarah Richardson Giveaway |

[…] did not disappoint. You see, when I was working on my son’s nursery, my sunroom, and our main floor renovation, I often referred to Sarah Richardson’s work on her website or HGTV.  Her rooms are such a […]

4. Danielle

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. Would you mind sharing where the adorable milk jugs are from? Thanks, Danielle

5. Happy New Year! |

[…] finally shared the our kitchen renovation! A big thank you to Jen, from Rambling Renovators for including it on her love list! It was a huge […]

6. cbranon

Your kitchen looks beautiful! I am going to use Silestone Lagoon in my new kitchen, but I’m having trouble picking out the right back splash and cabinet color. Your back splash looks great! Is it marble? Can you let me know who makes it? Also, what are your cabinet colors. Thank you for your help!! 🙂

• Sweet Maple

Thank you! The backsplash is marble. I found it difficult to chose w backsplash as well. My (close) second choice was white subway tile bc it’s timeless. The white cabinets are CC-80 and the island is HC-166. Both Benjamin Moore. Hope that helps!! Good luck!

• jen

Sorry, can you clarify…is it Carrara Marble or something like Calacatta Marble on the blacksplash? Trying to decide the best fit with our Lagoon countertops. Also, where did you purchase your backsplash tile?

7. Jana

What a beautiful kitchen! About how much did it cost to do just the island with the column?

• Sweet Maple

Hi Jana, Thank you! I couldn’t really tell you because we always had the cost of the entire kitchen. I would guess, with the counter, it was $6-8,000 for the island with the column. Good luck with your projects!!

8. Lindsay Moore

Your kitchen is gorgeous! What are the dimensions of your island? We need to do something similar with the column and I want to make sure we have room for 3 bar stools. Thanks!

• Sweet Maple

Thank you!! 62.5 x 77.5″ (along the side in front of the stove). This is the counter surface measurements. The overhang is 1″ and 13″ where the stools are.

9. Amy

Your kitchen is gorgeous!!! We just renovated our kitchen and used the Lagoon Silestone. All we really have left to do is the back splash and I adore the way the Lagoon looks with your back splash. What did you use for your back splash?

• Sweet Maple

Hi Amy, thanks so much! Congratulations on the kitchen reno – great choice of counter! I have not regretted Lagoon Silestone one bit. The back-splash was really hard for me as well. We used marble sheets that look like subway tile. It was hard because the marble we were looking at in the showroom wasn’t going to match was we got because it all depends on the cut. It ended up working really well. You can always go with a subway tile in white or light grey. Can’t wait to see what you chose!

10. Amanda

Beautiful work! We are building a new house and I picked out pretty much all of the same finishes at the design center. When I came home, I searched for a picture of the Lagoon Silestone, and was lucky enough to find your kitchen with all the matching components (white cabinets, dark floors, marble backsplash)! Do you mind sharing the paint color you used above the cabinets? Thank you!

• Sweet Maple

Thank you, Amanda!! It’s called Collingwood from Benjamin Moore. Let me know if you have any other questions! Good luck with your new house!!

11. Dana Marco

Wow this is so beautiful. Would it be possible to post the kitchen plan and the size of the room…. We have something like this in our home minus the island and we really want to add an island to our kitchen space but we always thought we dont have a enough space cause we have a pole right in the middle. Thank you and congratulations on your new kitchen.